Friday, March 12, 2010

Paved WIth Yellow Brick

The road to the City of Emeralds is paved with yellow brick. -Frank Baum

Let's hope he's right and that this is my yellow brick road.

La Conner Daffodils


We are on the last chapter of our story here on Whidbey Island.  Frankly, it feels as though this book may not have that happy of an ending.  Our downstairs is still torn to shreds and there is much finish work upstairs to complete, along with packing our entire houseful of belongings and making arrangements to travel to our new home.  We also have to find said home at some point.  It's overwhelming.  But, at the end of every day, the sun has to set.

 Cranberry Lake Sunflare


And then it comes up the next day.  And everything works out okay.  I know that.  I believe that.  But, it doesn't stop the worry and doubt from creeping into my mind and weaving itself around every strand of excitement I cling to as we move on to this next phase in our life.  I have been tired lately and haven't been able to find an inspiring word waiting to flow from my fingers.  My thoughts have been reserved to motivate me to enjoy my days here with my children and keep them from feeling the brunt of my anger towards this house.  This house that my husband has made a home for us just as we are flying off into the sunset.  This house that has made a very loud, dusty, lonely journey of our time here.  This house that I see so much of the man I love in and want so badly to enjoy with him for years to come.  I resent that we're leaving so soon without a moment to breathe in the love that we have poured so thickly into every floorboard and paint stroke.  I love this house.  Almost like a child.  But then I hate this house for becoming all consuming and more than we I bargained for.  It's been like living in a barn at some points.

Barn.


I think I've worked myself out of my slump, though.  My mom's visit helped a lot and it was really nice to get out of the house and take in the scenery that this beautiful island has to offer with one of my favorite people.  Thank you, mom, for reminding me that there is more to life than this house that has taken over my life and my mind.  It was such a fun week with you and now that you've hit the road, I'm refreshed and ready to start packing my life away into boxes.  My yellow brick road came in the form of daffodils.  Now, if only I could click my heels and find myself in Texas.

Our Green Family

SIGNATURE

1 comment:

  1. it will all work out in the end... a friend of ours found our townhouse here in dc without us even looking at it bc luke was still in treatment...
    things do seem overwhelming with the move, but shore duty is worth all the headaches you are going through now.

    ReplyDelete