Monday, February 1, 2010

The View From Here and 30 Days of...



Sometimes you don't know what you have until it's gone. I know what I have and am a little sad to be leaving it soon. This is a photo from a wonderful walk last evening at the close of a great visit from Aunt Kelly and Uncle Dave. This is the lake that is next to our house. Gorgeous! If you walk to the dock and stare across to the other side of a lake you will see a sand bar separating it from the ocean. Which means, if you stand on the sandbar you are uniquely situated between both ocean and lake. On the shore of two bodies of water all at once. It is one of a kind and quite a beautiful place to call home. If only for a few more months.

Which brings me to my next topic. It is the first day of February and that means the start of another "30 Days of...". This month is 30 Days of HOME.




In the military, I've learned that a HOME can be a very unit. These past three years have found me spending 3-4 months at our home in Washington with my husband and then 3-4 months at my mom's house in Oregon while he's deployed. Over and over again. And then, when we were at our house, we moved upstairs, then downstairs, then upstairs, then downstairs then upstairs again. I have lived like a gypsy of sorts and it has left me wondering what it is that makes a person HOME. Is HOME a physical place or a state of being? Are there conditions that must be met for a person to be HOME? What is HOME to me?

HOME: A place in which one finds comfort, belonging and relief.

As I prepare to pack up again and move our family to Texas in April, there is no better time than now to explore what it means to be HOME for me. They say that "home is where the heart is" and I wonder where it is that my heart lies.

1 comment:

  1. So, we are YOUR Aunt and Uncle now? he he! LOVE how the photo turned out. :)

    ReplyDelete